dinsdag 18 oktober 2011

Kathmandu, 17 oktober

Time keeps on slipping....

Hey dear readers,

a little update maybe, since I am here now anyway. I am developing a little internet- obsession as of late, probably has something to do with one of the last people I met. Maybe a tidy bit too eager to get a message... alas, no such luck so far.
So, since I am here, might as well.

About Kathmandu!
The day I flew in here from Varanasi I still felt weak, my throat hurt pretty bad and the only reason I was able to be up and about was the ibuprofen I took every five hours or so and the antibiotic treatment I reluctantly, but desperately had started the day before. The flight was peanuts, I just slept through it. What made the entry in Nepal a bit of a pain in the neck was the visa-application; most passengers didn't have a visa so I ended up waiting in line for over an hour, which gets kindov tiring, especially when you're supposed to be sleeping off a strep throat. But once I got past that it all went pretty breezy: I took a prepaid taxi to the Yellow House, where there obviously were no rooms available (just my luck), but some dude who jumped into the cab at the airport ushered me ever so kindly to the next hotel, where I am happily staying until this very day. I was a bit cautious at first, not liking the whole idea of being manipulated by another commission-bounty-hunter, but hey, it turned out a nice hotel, slightly over my budget but perfect for getting better, nicely situated, with warm water (took the best shower in weeks, hallelujah), clean, cozy and with a reasonable restaurant service. Who's complaining here? Not me!

It took a little effort to get myself to go explore. Maybe my health has something to do with that. I called Bertje (for those of you who don't know: he's a Belgian friend who has lived in Nepal for a while now, he's also married to a Nepali girl and they have an adorable little boy together) and he came by the next day to go to an ayurvedic doctor. The doc said I had 'a fever inside', gave me a disapproving look when I told him I was on antibiotics, and gave me a cough syrup and pills to clear my throat. I'm better ever since, but the coughing got worse, probably because the crap that has been stuck on my lungs is finally clearing up. The next day I was ready to go into town and I visited Durbar Square, the main square with the old palace and countless temples on it. Check pics! I especially enjoyed the people-watching from the steps of one of the temples. Great place.
When I was checking out the little market behind the main square, I had a nice talk with an Australian lady, Jenny, and she's awesome! Very interesting woman, glad we met. We visited the Monkey Temple together the next day, with a little local boy named Raju (check pics). Jenny had met him at that same market place and she had taken him out on a day trip before, which was obviously awesome for the kid. She has a knack at helping people, she has a friendly word for everybody and tries to do whatever she can, wherever she can. I admire her for that, for in a country where there is so much poverty and suffering everywhere, you tend to ignore it after a while, for the mere sake of not having a heavy heart all day. Pretty selfish I guess, there's not really any excuse for being blind to other peoples needs. I usually give a little money or food here and there, and that's it, but I'm really glad to have met Jenny who goes around buying water tanks and cars for people she hardly even knows... wake up call I probably needed.
In the evening I also met some cool French guys, Damien and Julien, so we're hanging out ever since. It's nice to have some like minded people around, and I enjoy speaking French! They think I'm a raving madwoman but also clearly show and speak their appreciation for my company, and that feels really nice. We visited Boudha together yesterday, the place with the biggest stoupa ever (check pics), believed to have relics of the real Buddha (Sidharta Gautama) inside of it.

Ok I gotta go, more later. Meeting the French for lunch, they're leaving back to France today.

Hugs and godspeed!



Durbar Square





Siva and Parvati


Cotton candy at Durbar Square




Popular Nepalese gambling game

Freak Street

Still at Durbar square


Me and Raju at Monkey Temple

Climbing up the stairs to Monkey Temple

Jenny

Monkey looting an altar at Monkey Temple






In front of the Stoupa at Boudha

Damien





Julien, me, Damien




Peace out!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten